They are a dramatic way to define a room style.
For example, a bold abstract print immediately establishes a contemporary style, while a small floral design will suggest a more traditional or country theme.
Generally, the wallpaper style should go with the rest of your décor style. It should flow naturally with the rest of your space.
Examples of wallpaper styles
• Formal: A formal interior benefits from various elegant wallpaper designs, such as a hand-painted print or damask.
• Glam: The choices for glam wallpaper include embossed, flocked, crystal, or glitter embedded or dramatic reflective designs.
• Casual: Your décor can be enhanced with different patterns, such as a plant, floral, or textured print.
• Country: A plaid, gingham, or country motif pattern may be the right choice for your country décor.
• Rustic: Select a textured wallpaper, such as a grass-cloth for depth, plaid for warmth, or a wildlife pattern to fit your theme.
• Victorian: A baroque floral damask makes a good wallpaper for this period style.
• Modern: Select a geometric or abstract pattern for a more modern décor.
The colors you select for an interior wallpaper should be a good match for your window treatments, flooring, and furniture.
You can get the color saturation of a bold paint color by selecting a colored wallpaper with a pattern that’s a few levels lighter. This approach gives an elegant touch to a bathroom.
Choose colors from the color palette of the rest of your décor. Repeat one or more of the colors with your wallpaper choice.
Use the accent color as the primary color in your wallpaper to create drama and contrast.
For a smooth, easy transition, repeat the wall paint color as the main wallpaper color.
Pattern or Plain Wallpapers
You aren’t limited to using a plain wallpaper even if you’ve used different patterns in your décor. The key is to select the right colors and pattern size.
If you have patterned draperies and upholstery, an easy choice is a tone-on-tone pattern or textured wallpaper.
If you opt for a patterned wallpaper, go with a smaller or larger pattern than the drapery fabric or upholstery pattern.
A plain wallpaper offers a nice visual break for a heavily patterned décor.
Large and Small Patterns
It’s a myth that you must select patterns that are the same scale as the room, such as small patterns for small rooms and large prints for large rooms. You can certainly do this, but your design may be rather mundane.
A large wallpaper pattern in a small bathroom can be a dramatic design choice.
You may decide to use a small pattern in a large den where the space is broken up by windows, doors, and built-in furniture.
In this scenario, a small pattern creates a great visual with teasing breaks and hints of colors and patterns.
The Bottom Line
Wallpaper is making a comeback, and now might be the best time to give it a try. Follow these steps, and your wallpaper will be one of your favorite features in your interior.
However, if you need professional help with removing wallpaper and repainting your home interior, Matthews’ Painting can help.
Our residential painting and wallpaper removal services are available in Warsaw, Syracuse, Leesburg, Lake Tippecanoe area, Goshen, Winona Lake area, Columbia City, Indiana, and surrounding Indiana cities.
To give us a try, book a FREE estimate below or call us on (574) 834-3575 for more details.